UNC Chapel Hill
Originally constructed between 1822 and 1837, this historic building, formerly a chapel, now serves as host for performances, lectures and special events. Three U.S. Presidents have spoken in Gerrard Hall. Seating for 375 is available in this 2-level structure consisting of a main floor area with a stage and a U-shaped balcony. A 2007 restoration project focused on repairs, added services and code compliance.
Stanford White was engaged as the mechanical and electrical engineer, specifically to design: new plumbing for ADA toilets, a new fire sprinkler system, replacement of the heating-only steam radiator system with a new forced-air heating and cooling system utilizing campus utilities, new building lighting, new dimming system for performance lighting, new electrical service and a new fire alarm system. Particular attention was made to improving mechanical and electrical infrastructure in a concealed manner in order to retain the historic integrity of the building.