NC State University
This project was a complete renovation of a 49,000 SF three-story campus facility along with the addition of 3,000 SF of new mechanical space. Originally constructed in 1909 as a dormitory, this building is now home to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences department and contains offices, seminar rooms, conference rooms and computer rooms.
Campus utilities were extended to the building including domestic water, fire protection water, sanitary sewer, steam, chilled water, fiber optics and electrical primary. The design added a fire sprinkler system: wet-pipe on occupied floors and dry-pipe in the attic. Plumbing design included new toilets and all new fixtures throughout. HVAC system design includes a new variable air volume system with hot water terminal reheat and new building-wide controls. Because of the shallow floor-to-floor heights, new utilities such as ductwork and piping had to be judiciously designed with architectural treatments necessary to conceal mechanical equipment while preserving high ceiling heights where practical. Electrical design included completely new systems: power, lighting, fire alarm and telecommunications.